The last few weeks have been busy, busy, busy with work events, our much needed trip to Vegas and numerous other social activities (because we're just so dang popular). So busy, in fact, that I realized I've been off my meal planning and prepping game. And there's nothing that makes me feel more out of sorts than when I'm off! But I'm proud to say that I'm back on my meal plan grind and I'm feeling alive!
On top of it all, the sun has been starting to come out to play and it's making me all sorts of happy. Literally, I'm grinning from ear to ear right now! It also makes me inspired to make simple, clean and seasonal meals aka meals that just feel bright and put a smile on my face.
A meal that does just that and that has also been a cornerstone of my meal prep game for years is my Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus. When I made it last time, I actually made a promise to myself to include this in our weekly dinner lineup every week if possible. There's no reason why I wouldn't either, because there are literally countless reasons why this all encompassing meal is a winner. I couldn't possibly share them all, but for starters here are 10:
- It takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish to prepare and cook.
- You only need one pan to make a full meal. Just one!
- It's a non-recipe recipe (which are some of my favorites!) It's really just a method for cooking with some ingredient pairings. You could easily customize this recipe to your liking, swapping rosemary for dill or another herb, add some garlic for extra bite, swap shallots for onions, the world is your oyster (or…salmon in this case).
- It requires just a mere handful of everyday ingredients.
- The ingredients are clean and simple. Just lemon, rosemary, onions, olive oil, salt and pepper are required to dress up the asparagus and salmon, and I'll bet you over half of those ingredients are in your pantry right now.
- It's a cheap meal! Despite what you might think, a pound of salmon at Fred Meyer usually costs about $10 or less which is totally justifiable if you consider what it would cost you to have a salmon dinner out on the town. And this meal, my friends, is better than anything you'll get on the town, trust me!
- It's Whole30/Paleo/Gluten-free/dairy-free….if you're into that sorta thing.
- It's a rather impressive meal (and yet nobody will ever know that it literally took you a matter of minutes to make).
- The salmon alone comes out tender and luscious, scented with delicate, simple flavors of lemon and rosemary. It's perfection.
- The asparagus is lemony, bright and the perfect pairing for such exquisite salmon.
It's not hard to sell people on this multifaceted wonder meal. It's easily a Hungry Ali specialty and would go in my personal top 10 best recipes. Go ahead and add it to your weekly meal prep lineup and experience for yourself the wonder of this Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus!
Sheet Pan Salmon and Asparagus
- 1-1 1/2 pound fresh salmon filet. If you can get your hands on some fresh steelhead, do itttttt
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced plus zest
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 1 bunch of asparagus, stems trimmed
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes (optional)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay onion slices and half of rosemary down on half of a sheet pan. Place salmon filet on top of onions and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper then lay lemon slices and rosemary on top. Drizzle with olive oil. On the other half of the sheet pan, spread asparagus evenly across pan. Toss with lemon zest, red chili flakes, salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes – easy as that, kids!